NEW Rensselaer Naturalist Program
Rensselaer Land Trust and Rensselaer Plateau Alliance are offering the Rensselaer Naturalist Series this year. Participants can learn about a specific aspect of the natural history of Rensselaer County, such as birds, wildflowers, trees, and bogs. There will be a learning goal related to each of the outing’s topic; for example, learn 10 birds, or learn 10 wildflowers.
The series is open to adults and teens.
May 11 • 9 am – noon:
Invasive Plants Program and Workday with Capital Mohawk PRISM at Staalesen Vanderheyden Preserve, Troy. The native plants of one the largest open spaces in Troy needs our help by cutting bittersweet vines and pulling other invasives. Led by Spencer Barrett, Terrestrial Invasive Species Coordinator with Capital-Mohawk PRISM.
May 18 • 10 am – 1 pm:
Spring Wildflowers at Rensselaer Tech Park. May is the month for spring wildflowers to bloom, and the woods, fields, and ravines behind the Rensselaer Technology Park provide good habitat. Leader: Tom Phillips, local botanist.
More information and registration at www.renstrust.org.
Trinity Lansingburgh Garden Fair
Trinity Church Lansingburgh will hold its 14th Annual Spring Garden Fair on the church grounds, 585 Fourth Avenue, Troy, from 9 AM until 2 PM on Saturday, May 18, 2019. Garden plants, hand-crafted items and homemade baked goods will be available for purchase. Make-your-own sundaes, lunches, coffee and donuts will be sold. Free tours of the historic church building and the graveyard will be given throughout the day.
For more information call (518)237-7831 or visit www.trinitychurchlansingburgh.org.
Rensselaer County Historical Society – 2019 Exhibits, Events, Etc.!
Exhibits: Two new exhibits for 2019: ‘Bridging Rensselaer County: Two Centuries of Crossing the Hudson’ and ‘From Country Drives to The Grand Tour: Travels To and From Rensselaer County.’
Events: 1st Thursday History Talks
Saturday Walking Tours, 2nd Saturday Hart- Cluett
House Tours, Deck Parties & more! Etc.
Troy Senior Center Upcoming Events
19 Third Street, Troy, New York 12180
LaVena Futia, Director • 518-270-5348
- GYM: Come join our Gym! Stay active, build strength! Open Monday-Friday 8:30-2:45. Free to all seniors 60+
- LINE DANCING: Join our Uncle Sam Sparklers!!! Looking for more Line Dancers to join our class! It’s a fun way to keep active!
- BILLIARDS: Come shoot pool in our pool room, Monday-Friday, from 8:30-3:00; looking for members to play in Pool Tournaments every Monday at 10:30.
- CRAFTS: Every Tuesday at 10:30.
- DART LEAGUE: Join us on Fridays at 10:30 on the second floor.
- CHAIR YOGA: Mondays at 9:30 followed by Aerobics.
- REIKI: Twice a month at 9:00- Must sign up ahead of time.
- GAME DAY: Mondays, starting at 10:00 a.m. Ping Pong, Darts, Yahtzee, Chromino, Card Games! Come join the fun! Followed by a delicious, nutritious lunch and then BINGO!
- SHARE LUNCHEON: Thursday, May 9th, at Franklin Terrace
- BIRTHDAY PARTY: Thursday, May 23rd, following lunch. Celebrating April, May and June Birthdays!
- GIVING PROJECTS: Come volunteer for “giving” projects with us! We are doing several projects for the Month of May. We need your help to meet our deadline! Giving Projects sponsored by County Legislator Leon Fiacco and Michael O’Brien of H&L Insurance.
- DINNER & SHOW: Thursday, June 6th, at 4:00 p.m. Secret Show by the AVERILL PARK OFF BROADWAY PLAYERS… dinner served promptly following the show! Call 518-270-5348 for more info or reservations.
Please call with any questions! We look forward to you joining us!
*Please visit our Boutique. It’s open Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10-2p.m. Next to new clothing for men and women, jewelry and household items. We also accept donations of gently used items.
Small Space Gardening Workshop
Master Gardener and Interior Designer Denise Maurer will be presenting a workshop entitled, Contain Your Garden on Thursday, May 23rd, at 3PM, prior to Nina’s Hidden Garden Tour, at the Troy Public Library’s Main Location.
You can get maxi gardening results in mini spaces. That’s the beauty of growing your favorite perennials, annuals, vegetables, herbs or even trees in a container. And, since your garden is smaller, it minimizes the tending time. During the class you’ll learn how to select the right container, the plants that will work best for you, and all the “nitty-grittiest” to keep your garden happy and healthy.
This program is free and open to the public. Please make reservations by calling the library at 518-274-7071 or register online at www.thetroylibrary.org.
The Troy Public Library is located at 100 2nd Street, Troy, New York.
Brunswick Senior Ways Group
Brunswick Senior Ways Group are going to visit the Amish in PA on June 23rd, 24th & 25th, 2019.
$150 deposit is due at registration. Send payment to Diane Hynes, 2017 Piney Point Rd, Troy, 12180. (518) 279-3589. Cost for dbl. pp/ $379. Includes 2 nights hotel, 2 breakfast, 2 dinners, 1 lunch & the show “Jesus”.
Community Garage Sale
Third Presbyterian Church (115 Winter Street, Troy) will be hosting a Community Garage Sale on June 1st from 9-2. So, as you do your spring cleaning, save the treasures you no longer need and plan to join us on the 1st. There is no cost to participate. Just bring a table and your treasures to sell.
Food and beverages will be available throughout the day. There is no charge for the food, but donations will be accepted and used to provide backpacks and school supplies for families in need in our community.
To reserve a space, or to get more information, please call the church office at 518-283-2420.
Rensselaer Co. Board of Director’s Meeting
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rensselaer County will hold their Board of Director’s Meeting on Mon., May 20, 2019, at 7:00 pm in the Education Room of their offices located at 61 State St., Troy, NY 12180. Phone 518-272-4210.