Troy Senior Center Upcoming Events
19 Third Street
Troy, New York 12180
LaVena Futia, Director 518-270-5348
* GYM: Come join our Gym! Stay active, build strength! Open Monday-Friday 8:30-2:45. Free to all seniors 60+
* LINE DANCING: Join our Uncle Sam Sparklers!!! Looking for more Line Dancers to join our class! It’s a fun way to keep active!
* BILLIARDS: Come shoot pool in our pool room Monday-Friday from 8:30-3:00 looking for members to play in Pool Tournaments every Monday @10:30.
* CRAFTS: Every Tuesday @10:30. March (glass treat or tissue jars)
* DART LEAGUE: Join us on Fridays @10:30 on the second floor.
* CHAIR YOGA: Mondays @ 9:30 followed by Aerobics.
* SENIOR FEUD: Back by Popular Demand! Thursday, March 7th @11:00!
* SPA DAY: Come with us Friday, March 8th, to get your Manicure, Haircut, Waxing, Wash/Blow Dry for $1.00 ea. Perms and Colors are $10.00 ea. Call to reserve your spot with us.
* BALLOON VOLLEYBALL: Tuesday, March 12th @12:30
* SPECIAL DINNER: Celebrating St. Patty’s Day, Thursday, March 14th. Entertainment by Mike DeAngelis
* MEMBERSHIP MEETING: Thursday, March 14th @10:30
* NYS MUSEUM: Tuesday, March 19th
* ICE CREAM SOCIAL: Wednesday, March 20th Sponsored by United HealthCare
* WHEEL OF FORTUNE: Thursday, March 28th @11:00
* MONDAYS IN MARCH COMEDY HOUR: Join us on Mondays @10:30 a.m. for a Stand Up Comedy show. New Show each week!!
Please Call With Any Questions! We look forward to you joining us!
*Please visit our Boutique. It’s open Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10-2p.m. Next to new clothing for men and women, jewelry and household items. We also accept donations of gently used items.
4-H Teen Council holds Pre-Teen Fun Day at Tamarac MS
Cornell Cooperative Extension’s 4-H Youth Development prides itself with providing youth with exciting real-world opportunities. On February 16, 2019, Rensselaer County’s 4-H Teen Council held Pre-Teen Fun Day at Tamarac Middle School. Pre-Teen Fun Day is a day of STEM taught by 4-H Teens. This year we are happy to report that 34, 4-H members ages 5-12 and 9 teens ages 13-18 participated.
They began the day with icebreaker activities led by teens to get to know each other and to set goals for the day. From there, youth partook in making rubber band cars and ended with a derby. Youth learned about working together, asking for help, friction, potential and kinetic energy all while having fun!
Pre-Teen Fun Day is an annual event sponsored by Rensselaer County’s 4-H Teen Council because 4-H understands that formal education taught in schools needs to be enhanced with non-formal experiences. This day not only allows younger members to dive into a STEM related topic, but the teens that sponsor the event are the ones teaching them, getting the leadership experience that has been proven to build skills, experience, and confidence needed to emerge as effective leaders and contributing members of society.
~Submitted by Kandis Freer, Team Leader with Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rensselaer County. For more information about this and other programs offered by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rensselaer County, please call 518-272-4210.
French Film -“Un rêve américain”-Saturday, March 23, 2019, 1pm, Troy Public Library, 100 Second Street, Troy, NY, free, presented by La Fédération Franco-Américaine du New York. A historical documentary by Franco-Ontarian musician Damien Robitaille, who introduces us to the extraordinary history of the people in the United States of French-Canadian heritage. As a courtesy, please call the Troy Public Library at 518-274-7071 to reserve a seat. Follow La Fédération Franco-Américaine du New York at www.albanyareafrenchclub.com and Facebook.
Celebrate Women’s History Month with Famous Ladies’ Tea
Troy, N.Y.: Local actresses will portray ten notable women at the Famous Ladies’ Tea, Sunday, March 31st, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn, 235 Hoosick Street, Troy. Among the famous ladies will be Maureen Stapleton, Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, Carrie Nation, and the biblical Elizabeth.
The event follows a unique format, as the historical women introduce themselves to the audience by joining each table for a personal chat, each telling her own story.
A silent auction and raffle will include tickets and goods from local merchants. Payment is required in advance: $45 per person or $315 for reserved tables of eight. All proceeds benefit LVORC’s programs and services for adults and children in greater Rensselaer County. To purchase online, visit www.lvorc.org