AWANA Kids Club
AWANA is a Christian kids club mixing fun games and activities with thoughtful devotions and Bible memorization. Open to preschool children through grade six, meeting Wednesdays, 6-8pm, at Brunswick Church, 42 White Church Lane (off Rt. 351). For more information, email Director of Nurture Ministries Niki Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-279-3792, ext. 11.
For registration or additional information, contact Kayela at 518-272-4210 or, email@example.com
Defensive Driving Class
Gilead Lutheran Church will host a 6-hour defensive driving class on Saturday, April 6, 2019, from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM. This is a NYS DMV approved class that will offer a 10% reduction off your auto insurance and up to 4 points off your NYS driver’s license! Exciting and interactive PowerPoint presentation and never a test to pass the course! Cost of this class is just $30 per person and must be paid at the door. Doors open at 8:30 AM. Lunch items will be available for sale for an additional cost. Gilead church is located at 308 Brick Church Road (Route 278), Troy. We are handicapped accessible and have loads of free close parking. SPACES ARE LIMITED and will sell out fast -again- at this price!! To reserve your seat, please call John at 279-9552. Please drive safely! ALL proceeds from this class will be donated to the church.
Renss. Co. Legislature kicks off ‘Golden’ Tradition of collecting items for the Mohawk Hudson Humane Soc.
Chairman of the Rensselaer County Legislature Michael Stammel announced the Legislature would once again be collecting essential items for the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society in Menands.
“Our tradition of collecting goods for the humane society began in 2005 when our staffer, Linda Golden, organized the first collection effort. It has been called the ‘Golden’ Tradition since then, even after her retirement”, said Chairman Stammel.
“The humane society is struggling to care for many animals from the recent animal hoarding case in Troy, so now is a good time for us to offer them assistance”, said Vice Chair Kelly Hoffman.
“Linda Golden is an animal lover, and we are proud to continue this tradition in her honor, especially at this time when the humane society needs the extra help”, said Majority Leader Ken Herrington.
The Legislature will be collecting all varieties of unopened pet food, small blankets, new or like new towels, cat litter, training pads, cat toys (no catnip), leashes, Kong toys, Swiffer Wet Jet liquid cleaner and pads, and more. A complete list can be found on the Legislature’s Facebook page “Rensselaer County Legislature”. The items will be collected in the Majority office near the third-floor entrance to the County office building. Anyone with questions can call 518-270-2880.
~Submitted by Harry J. Tutunjian
NAACP Installation of Officers
The Troy New York Branch of the NAACP will hold its installation of officers on Sunday, January 13, 2019, at 2:00 P.M., Chapel and Cultural Center, 2125 Burdett Avenue, Troy, NY 12180.
Home Purchase & Repair Funding Available
This spring, the Troy Rehabilitation & Improvement Program (TRIP) and Rensselaer County Housing Resources (RCHR), will offer grant funding to assist local residents with obtaining and maintaining their homes.
TRIP & RCHR have been awarded funds to provide grant monies, which can be used for down payment assistance for first-time homebuyers and home rehabilitation projects.
The NYS AHC Program assists income-eligible homeowners with home repairs including health and safety repairs, roof replacement, structural, electrical, plumbing and heating system repairs or replacements and energy efficiency measures.
The HIP Program (serving Troy residents) and the Small Cities (serving Rensselaer County residents outside of Troy) Grant Program assist income-eligible first-time home buyers with grants to be used for down payment and/or closing costs at the time of purchase.
Rensselaer County residents may apply for these grant opportunities. Applicants need to be income-eligible and current on their mortgage, property taxes and homeowner’s insurance at the time of application in order to qualify.
For more information about these grants or other homeowner programs, visit www.triponline.org or call the TRIP & RCHR NeighborWorks Home Ownership Center at (518) 272-8289.
Troy Senior Center
19 Third Street, Troy, New York 12180
LaVena Futia, Director 518-270-5348
TROY SENIOR CENTER UPCOMING EVENTS…
* GYM: Come join our Gym! Stay active, build strength! Open Monday-Friday 8:30-2:45. Free to all seniors 60+
* HAIRCUTS: First Monday of every month at 10:00 a.m. Please call 518-270-5348 to reserve
* BILLIARDS: Come shoot pool in our pool room Monday-Friday from 8:30-3:00 Looking for members to play in Pool Tournaments every Monday at 10:30.
* CRAFTS: Every Tuesday at 10:30. Making wreaths, wine bottle crafts, bird houses etc.
* CENTER CLOSED: Monday, January 21st. Martin Luther King Day.
* SPECIAL DINNER: Wednesday, January 30th. “Taste of Winter”. Entertainment by Pat Viglucci Trio.
* SENIOR FEUD: Wednesday, January 23rd at 10:45 a.m.
* LEARN COMPUTER/ SMARTPHONE SKILLS: Mondays 2/4, 2/11, 2/25 from 10:45-11:45. Come in and learn basic computer/smart phone skills.
* BIRTHDAY PARTY: Thursday, February 7th, celebrating January, February and March Birthdays.
* SPA DAY: Come with us Friday, February 8th to get your Manicure, Haircut, Waxing, Wash/Blow Dry for $1:00 ea. Perms and Colors are $10.00 ea. Call to reserve your spot with us.
* DART LEAGUE: Starting up in February! Join us on Fridays at 10:30.
* PAINT AND SIP: Tuesday, February 12th at 12:45 (Finish Project on Feb. 19th at 12:45.)
* SPECIAL DINNER: Thursday, February 14th (Valentine’s Day Party) Entertainment by Gary Brooks. Please Call With Any Questions! We look forward to you joining us!
*Please visit our Boutique. It’s open Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10-2p.m. Next to new clothing for men and women, jewelry and household items. We also accept donations of gently used items.